Wednesday, November 5, 2014

The Cry Of A Bird Because I Can't Lay Eggs

I started work on The Fire Project, which was the working title of The Cry Of A Bird LP a few months after completing my 2nd album, The Beginning Of The Endless Search For Oblivon, in late 2012. Things were changing. After recording my version of the 1812 Overture by Tchaikovsky, as well as a track called "Perfect" in my home studio, my life came to a grinding halt. A planned trip to London to record with some friends and continue the project was cancelled. Luckily, the guys in The Fierce And The Dead, who had booked the studio on my behalf, were luckily able to use the time for their own recording sessions. I felt awful about the whole thing, but relieved that they didn't hate me.  Meanwhile, I was getting sick and my elderly dog, Jada was dying. I was in a dark place. It was discovered later that year, that my house was completely infested with mold, so it was no wonder I was ill. My dog, ended up passing away and I had to tear down the studio, pack all of my stuff and live elsewhere until the situation was sorted. During that time, I moved quite a bit with my other dog, my gear and some clothes. I wrote a lot of music and played a decent amount of shows.  There was nothing else to do to make me happy, really. Fast forward 10 months later. My house was fixed, I was playing more shows than ever and I was in a good place. I had made lots of growth as a performer and was just about ready to pick up and make this 3rd album. I was dating again, which was nice, after being divorced 2 years prior. It all felt good. At some point in November 2013, while seeking out gigs, I ended up meeting a new friend and my next engineer. This was the guy. His name was Ric Pattison and the dude had a spark. He was English, a perfectionist, had a studio and a wicked sense of humor. It turned out we had a lot in common. We decided to start the record properly in early January. At that time, Ric was really absorbed into the Northern Soul music revival that was taking place in England at the time. As a kid, he was a part of that original scene and it captured my imagination. I loved this music and since the vibe was so heavy, that I decided to cut a track inspired by it. Even though it ended up sounding nothing like that music, it had a spirit all its own. Later on in the process, I got a better crack at that on a different tune. We continued month after month, track after track, recording ballads, soul tunes, rock songs, progressive pieces...It was working well and even though we had different approaches to making music, it clicked. The plan was to work throughout 2014 on making "Bird," playing all of the instruments myself. It wasn't easy, but I learned a lot, even doing sessions for a friend's album on bass..an instrument I had just picked up. I kept playing shows...lots of them, sometimes with different bands, playing different instruments on any given night. This was in stark contrast to what I was doing during the production of Guitar For Money (2011), as well as "Oblivion", which was mainly getting an audience based on online promotion. During those days, my music was played on internet radio and podcasts. I was getting interviewed, favorably reviewed and people bought the work. They liked it and I was beginning to get known, if only by a small, but appreciative audience within the progressive and indie rock community. It felt comfortable, but my exposure was limited. I was spreading myself to thin. Things had to change and they did, but during the lapse between albums, I became disconnected from the people that has supported and played my music often. Most of my time, I spend and spent running my marketing company, so something had to give to get all of the work done. It might have appeared to many people that I didn't care, but that wasn't the case. I remain thankful to everyone who has ever spun my music and helped me along the way. Hopefully we can reconnect and get back to the new music, which I feel is as exciting as ever. With only 1 track left to do and production coming to a close in early December, my 3rd baby is about to hatch and I'm ready for it. It's been hard work! Anyway, I hope that when it is released, that the people who buy it will get as much of a charge out of listening to it, as I did making it. It's a fairly dark and intense bunch of tunes, that has just enough sunlight and hope to let it shine. In my mind it is a nice bookend to the trilogy of LPs that I've done. I'm not certain at this point that further albums are the way forward, but I absolutely cannot stop recording. I love it too much and it's great therapy. I think digital "singles" is what I'll do. LPs are largely a marketing tool anyway. Thank you to all who have appreciated and supported my music throughout the last few years. I hope that I haven't been too forgotten, but I'm kind of hard to ignore, so get hip to what's happening now...or else. 

Musically,

Leibowitz

No comments:

Post a Comment